In an effort to raise literacy levels and inspire continued academic success throughout Santa Ana, the Santa Ana Public Library is partnering with the Santa Ana Unified School District to get a library card into the hands of each student attending a Santa Ana school.
By the end of 2020, the library hopes to reach this goal and provide each one of the estimated 56,000 Santa Ana Unified School District students with a Santa Ana Public Library card.
As we continue to develop this project we will find and explore new ways to make this process a swift and convenient one for every applicant.
Each school will have a pilot period where the Santa Ana Public Library will work with the school’s administration to send out applications accompanied by a parent/guardian letter. This letter will briefly explain the advantages of being a part of this library card pilot project.
This is an initiative that will bring SAUSD students some great advantages:
- An expedited application process. There will be no need to show their proof of address upon applying. Students will just turn in the completed forms to their school and we will do the rest.
- Waiver of existing fines : if students already have a card, all fines they currently owe will be waived in order to give them a new library card, and a fresh start!
- Access to over 274,000 varied library materials including books, DVDs, CDs, and audiobooks
- Access to over 50 online databases with endless information for research and leisure reading
- Access to over 53,000 eResources including: eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines, and streamed videos
- Use of over 80 public computers in libraries and community centers across the City of Santa Ana
- Access to FREE after-school tutoring and homework help at the Main Library, Newhope Library, Garfield Community Center, and Jerome Center
- Participation in numerous special events and programs throughout the year such as the Summer and Fall Reading Programs, Math Mania, weekly storytimes, our annual Children’s Day/Book Day, and more!
For more information about the Santa Ana Public Library, visit: www.santa-ana.org/library and follow us on social media @SantaAnaPRCSA
Come back to track how many Santa Ana Unified School District students are getting a new library card.