The Graffiti Program improves the quality of life for those who live, work and visit our city by removing urban blight and effectively sharing resources. The Program has three purposes:
- Prevention of graffiti and enforcement of City codes
- Graffiti removal
- Prosecution of offenders
The Public Works Agency provides graffiti removal 7 days a week.
To report graffiti removal online Click Here
Call the Graffiti Hotline (877) STOP TAG -- (877) 786-7824
to report graffiti in progress call 911
Fast facts about graffiti
- Graffiti costs America more than $8 billion per year.
- Immediate removal - within 24 - 48 hours - is the key to successful graffiti prevention.
- There are four types of graffiti - tagging, satanic/hate, gang, and generic (nonthreatening messages like "Bobby loves Suzy"). Santa Ana mainly deals with tagging and gang graffiti. Tagging graffiti is more ornate while gang graffiti includes the use of symbols.
- The average age of the arrested graffiti vandal is 17-18, with an overall broad age range of 8-54 years.
- There are four primary motivating factors for graffiti vandalism: fame, rebellion, self-expression, and power.
- Getting the media to publish photos and videotape of graffiti is often the ultimate fame for graffiti vandals.
Things you can do
Report graffiti to the appropriate authorities.
Call 911 if graffiti act is in progress.
Call the Police Investigative Unit at (714) 245-8769 with information that may lead to an arrest and conviction of a person making graffiti.
Call 1(877) STOPTAG, 1(877) 786-7824, to report graffiti that needs to be removed.
Use Smartphone APP "mySantaAna"
Plant trees or other greenery near a graffiti-plagued wall.
Install lighting. Property owners are advised to install lighting in areas that are dark and often hit with graffiti.
Anti-Graffiti and Restoration Resources.
Locate businesses that provide anti-graffiti and restoration services.
Public Works Agency
Graffiti Street Cleaning Services Program
Santa Ana Police Department
Graffiti & Tagging Information
It's a Crime...